The power of the words 'I'll always love you'

I think there are four magic words that, whenever emotions are running high, can always help.

Those four words are "I'll always love you."

Or variations of those four words (Side note: Of course, only say it if you mean it).

For my parents, they would say to me when I was little, "I'll love you to the end of the numbers."

For my friends, we'll scream out "I love you forever," whenever one of us is feeling down.

And I remember, in high school during one of the hardest times in my life, when life didn't feel worth living anymore, one of my best friends reminded me that I need to live at least until we're little old ladies so we can be neighbors at the nursing home and chase each other around in our pink scooters. And I remember that was one of the things that helped me snap out of it.

Because her saying that showed me that, no matter what happens in my life, she will always be there for me. And to me, that's the greatest gift you can ever give to someone.

I have heard plenty of times what not to say to someone who is depressed or going through a tough time. For instance, never ever say, "Just get over it." But what should you say?

In my experience, whether it's with family, friends or the person you want to spend the rest of your life with (if you're lucky enough to have found that person), you can never go wrong saying those words.

I think that's because, if you're feeling down, it always is comforting to know that no matter what happens or no matter how alone you may feel at that moment, you have someone in your life that will stick by your side.

So next time you are with someone who is crying and you don't know what else to say, say those four words. Remind them, although there is so much in this life that is uncertain, you are one part of their life that they never have to worry about wavering.

I know, at least for me, knowing I have that is more important than anything else. And thank you to everyone in my life who has snapped me out of my down-in-the-dumps moments just by saying those words to me.  You've helped me more than you know.

Here are other things, according to Health.com, that you should say to someone who is depressed or sad:

1. I'm here for you. You are not alone in this.

2. You matter. You are important to me.

3. Let me help.

4. You are not going crazy.

5. There is hope.

6. I'll do my best to understand.

7. No matter what happens, you won't drive me away.

8. We'll get through this together.

You Might Also Like

0 comments