Coping with becoming an adult

There is a moment when a person realizes he or she is officially an adult.

For me, it was when I realized that I no longer can eat whatever I want. Last weekend, I tried on all my shorts from the previous year and, guess what, none of them fit. If I could even get the pants over my thighs, the zipper surely wouldn’t zip and the button definitely wouldn’t close.

 To make things worse, this week I tried on a couple of pants that, only three months ago, fit perfectly. Now, I can't even button them. This morning, I tried to put on a pair of pants -- and the button snapped off. It's as if, practically overnight, my metabolism plummeted. And with it went some of my self-confidence as well.

Although this may seem like a small problem to some, to me, all I could think was, "I have officially crossed over the point of no return."

 I can no longer eat fast food whenever I'm too lazy to cook (which is, usually, multiple times a week. Which explains why I can no longer fit into my pants). I am sure I will react similarly when I find my first grey hair. Geez, becoming an adult can be scary.

But, the more I thought about it, the more I thought, "If you're lucky, these things happen to everyone." After all, the alternative is worse. And, as my dad has always told me, "It only matters how old you feel."

Here are some ways to cope with the inevitable transition of getting older:

1. Stop thinking about "age milestones" you think you're supposed to meet. Sure, in your parents generation, it may have been normal to get married in your 20's. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you if you don't get married then. After all, haven't you ever watched "Sex and the City?" In this generation, these so-called age milestones are going by the wayside.


In 1960, 70 percent of 25-year-old women and 65 percent of 30-year-old men had attained "traditional" adult status defined as: leaving home, finishing school, getting married, having a child, and being financially independent.



Compare this to 2000, where 25 percent of 25-year-old women and 31 percent of 30-year-old men had attained this "traditional" adult status.

To me, this is comforting to know that we can be our own person, do what we want with our lives and not have to worry about these once-significant "time periods."

2. Exercise. Not only will this make you stay healthy, but it will also make you look and feel younger.

 My dad is in his 70's, but he looks like he's 20 years younger and acts more like he's in his 30's. And I think the fact that he works out five days a week definitely helps him.

3. At least once a week, do something fun and plan something to look forward to.

 As an adult, we get into a daily routine. But every once in a while, you need to let loose and do something that makes you not feel so much like an adult -- even something as simple as swinging on the swings at your local park or dancing around your bedroom.

 4. Don't lose touch with friends. I know that for many people, getting older means losing touch with those we once cared about. At least once a month, make it a point to meet up with your high school or college friends to catch up -- whether it's hanging out at one of your houses or drinking a cosmopolitan.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Monica... Hillarious. My sisters used to lie down on their backs on the bed and stretch out and that way they could button their blue jeans. I feel like No. 4 above. Sigh... hope u are happy and well and keep being creative... it energizes your soul. the wolffeman and his ole dawg

    ReplyDelete